Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Where it came from

Earlier I was thinking of just waiting for my first topic to come along, but yesterday afternoon my other half suggested that many may not yet know where our craft originates from. I thought, at first that it was too much of a tutorial. I want this to be a place of constructive conversation instead of lecture. However when I thought of her idea I realized, as I often do, that she was right. How can you truly work with a way of life if you do not know its roots?

Many believe that Wicca originates from the Celts. Truth be told there are two major parts of the craft that come from two different sources, the second much broader than the first. When it comes to religious concept concerning the God and the Goddess it seems to have originated from the Celtic isles.

Pre-Christian religion in the area involved the two main gods, the horned god and the mother goddess. These Celtic religions also hosted a number of lesser Gods and Goddesses, though unlike the continental religions they centered their worship and rituals on the God and the Goddess.

When it comes to the personal growth and spiritual development of an individual we draw from a much larger source, the entire world. There are many meditation techniques that come from the Far East. There are many spiritual guides that we use help us become closer to ourselves that are from different cultures that you would not think to have been taken into witchcraft at all. One such example is the Kabala from the Jewish faith. There are also many meditations calling on Greek and roman gods and many spiritual techniques taken from Native Americans. This is why I personally connect so well with Wicca. Although it does originate from the Celts, it also teaches you through the wisdom of points of view from all over the globe.

I just want to add a few more things in this post. I want to reiterate that I am still learning so there must be things that I don’t know. I encourage anyone reading this to go out and look on your own for something that I haven’t found. This was a very brief synopsis of the origins of Wicca and dealt only with its base origins and not with how it rose to popularity. I again encourage anyone reading to go out and find out more, and most importantly don’t take this for absolute truth. I’m telling you what I know but I may not be completely accurate. Go and find out for yourself. A good place to start is www.ladyoftheearth.com

2 comments:

spiritwolf333 said...

I absolutely love your ideas, please contact me

spiritwolf333 said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog:) I do hope to get to know you better:)

(I posted another blog if you wanna check it out:-})